Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dear Dad,

I tried calling earlier today to wish you a happy father's day, but I got Mom instead. After talking on the phone briefly with her, I realized that saying "Happy Father's Day" over the phone, or the typical card from me and Hilary wouldn't cut it for me. As you know, I'm a terrible conversationalist when it comes to talking with you and Mom, and anything I would have wanted to say probably would've gotten lost in translation as I try to speak up, or while you and I go back and forth. That being said, I had to think of an edifying way to "Happy Father's Day" without ruining it anymore than I already have. So from a distance, here is my "Happy Father's Day" and a message of thanks. I couldn't think of any other way to show thanks without this week coming back up in discussion, except for writing out this post. Here it is...

While Mom has taught me so many valuable things such as cooking, sewing, and how to treat a girl (which are VERY important skills :P), without a doubt, you've blessed me with something much greater. From a young age, you drilled me to think critically. You gave the boy wanderer who could never settle in to one thing nor stick with it, the ability to strategize and plan ahead. From teaching me how to do my homework, to studying, or how to budget my training time on and off the ice, you always pushed me to think more carefully, so that I don't waste energy, time or resources.

The biggest example of this would have to be chess. I remember my 7th birthday. I was sitting on our old blue gray couch in our home in Long Grove, IL and there was a box sitting on the coffee table. After prying open the box and emptying the contents, before me sat a chessboard, a standard USCF (US Chess Federation) chess pieces, a clock, and the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer which became one of the two movies (the other being Mighty Ducks) our VCR player probably hated playing because I would watch them over and over again.

While my chess game has definitely deteriorated due to lack of play and practice, the life lesson behind chess that you taught me was always "What's the next best move?" Notice that it's not just the next move, it is the next BEST move. While that might seem kind of obvious that in chess it's not just about making random moves, I just felt the need to emphasize that.

I've definitely made blunders and will, without a doubt, continue to have my faults, but you've always been there to challenge me whether I wanted you to or not. You've kept the reigns in tight, but even now, I can't help but question my own moves and motives. You've definitely given me one of my greatest strengths, but sometimes I definitely overuse this thoughtfulness to my disadvantage. It's why I'm writing this today, because I know I won't be able to talk properly or coherently and the thankfulness that I'm trying to convey will get lost on its way out of my mouth.

So Dad, I hope that you, Mom and Hilary enjoy what Mom is cooking up tonight. She kind of told me what was on the menu, but I'm not sure if it's a surprise or not, so I'll just be ambiguous by saying that I hope it's delicious. Thank you for everything that you do in my life. I know that I royally suck at showing it, but I really am thankful and blessed to have you as a driving force in my life (as much as I fight it), and especially thankful to have you as my father.

Love,
Matt



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment